Joseph McCarty, a pioneer from New York State, came west seeking a new home. Reaching the Fox Valley, he built the first campfire in April of 1834 on the island, which is now the site of downtown Aurora. He thought that the Fox River location was an ideal place for a new community and told his brother, Samuel. It was not long before Samuel arrived, family was sent for, and a permanent settlement was taking roots. The settlement was named McCarty mills for the brothers' grist mill and sawmill. In 1837, when a Post Office was established, the village became Aurora, goddess of the dawn. Later, when the City was the first in the United States to use electric lights for publicly lighting the entire City, it achieved the nickname of "City of Lights".
The modest camp of 1834 has grown into a teeming city. With a population of 197,899 according to the 2010 census, the City has steadily grown throughout the years to become the second largest city in the state.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity program of Midwest Real Estate Data LLC. Real Estate listings held by other brokerage firms are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo or the Broker Reciprocity thumbnail logo (MRED Icon) and detailed information about them includes the names of the listing brokers. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may subsequently have sold and may no longer be available. The information being provided is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. © 2018. http://www.mredllc.com/comms/resources/DMCA_Notice.pdf
Updated: 15th December, 2018 2:07 PM.